AAAAAAH! It's being rational and remains unconvinced of the existence of distant, judgmental powers and the dogmatic principles of their faithful!
KILL IT WITH FIIIIIRRREEE!!!!!!

Friday, August 5, 2011

This Is How Much I Hate Religion

In the context of a conversation about who-knows-what, a friend of mine remarked that I, as an atheist, hate religion.

This makes sense, right?  I mean, saying that an atheist hates religion is like saying that day follows night or that Jenny's phone number is 867-5309.  It's science!  Right?  Right?  RIGHT?!

"ASKED YOU A QUESTION!!"

Well...

...let's slow down a minute, you and me, and think about hate.

Hate is a curious thing.  We're saddled with it as an emotion, but it's not damn likely to do anyone any real good.  It's a nasty thing to feel; I know I don't like it.  Trouble is -- we're only human, so we can have it.

Hatred.

Luckily, we don't have to experience it.  At most, all you need to avoid feeling it is a little bit of emotional maturity and some self-control.  To top it off, most, you know, sane individuals have several degrees of anger to burn through before they hit that wall; you kinda have to be go out of your way to get that freaking angry.  It doesn't take any magic or special Mentat training, it just takes a healthy understanding of your own emotions, and of what good it does you to feel any of 'em.

Needless to say, I don't hate anything.  I just don't go there. I get mad, yeah; frustrated, displeased...but I don't let things get to me THAT much.  Is that weird?  Am I part Vulcan?  I dunno.  I just don't hate.

"Them haters gonna hate...what they do ain't nothin' new."
 Now that we've established that, let's move on to the next logical question: Where are the strippers How do I feel about religion?

At best, religions are serviceable means of psychological comfort couched in silly beliefs and superstitions; at worst, well...they can always get worse.  I think that we'd be better off without them, and I think that they rarely -if ever- provide anything that common sense cannot (from cosmology to ethics).  I think they're an idea whose time is over, a sway that is easy to abuse, a mistake to make.

But, c'mon -- hate religion?

Why bother?

No comments:

Post a Comment